This silky texture plus the rich flavor of Amy’s Organic Refried Beans with Green Chiles makes an excellent base for many dishes, like burrito filling or bean dip.
- 1 tsp olive oil
- ½ medium yellow onion, diced
- One 14oz block extra firm tofu
- 2 tbsp vegetable broth, plus more if needed
- 1 tsp black salt (kala namak; or regular salt)
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- ½ tsp paprika
- ¼ tsp ground turmeric
- 3 tbsp nutritional yeast (optional)
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- black pepper to taste
- 8-10 corn tortillas (2 per person)
- ½ batch 15-Minute refried beans
- chopped fresh cilantro
- sliced avocado (optional)
- shredded cabbage or lettuce (optional)
- sliced radishes (optional)
- chopped green onions (optional)
- lime wedges
To make the scrambled tofu:
- Heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the onion and sauté for 3-4 minutes. Crumble the tofu into the pan. Cook, stirring gently, until the tofu is no longer releasing any water and is starting to brown on the edges, about 10 minutes. Meanwhile, combine broth, black salt, cumin, paprika, and turmeric in a small cup.
- Once the tofu has stopped releasing water, add the broth mixture. Cook for about 5 minutes more, until the liquid is absorbed. If it begins to stick, add another tablespoon of broth to deglaze the pan and reduce the heat. Add the nutritional yeast(if using) and lemon juice and cook for about 1 minute more. Remove from the heat and cover the pan to keep warm.
To make the rancheros:
- Heat a small pan over medium heat. Place a tortilla in the pan and cook for about 1 minute, flip it, and cook for about 30 seconds more. Transfer to a plate and cover with aluminum foil. Repeat with the remaining tortillas.
- Spread some refried beans over each tortilla. Top with tofu scramble, a little salsa, and cilantro. If desired, you can also top with avocado slices, shredded cabbage, radish slices, and/or green onions. Serve immediately with a lime wedge. Any leftover scramble can be kept in an airtight container in the fridge for 3 to 4 days.