Tempeh Sloppy Joe Sliders
Better and more delightful comfort food and perfect for lunch or dinner. Deliciously saucy, super satisfying, and a great way to enjoy a super healthy and easy vegan recipe to add to your list.
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 1 medium red onion, diced
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- Two 8 oz (225g) packages tempeh (soy-free if necessary), crumbled
- ½ cup (120ml) low-sodium vegetable broth (or water)
- One 15 oz (425g) can no-salt-added crushed tomatoes
- One 6 oz (170g) can no-salt-added tomato paste
- ¼ cup (60ml) liquid aminos (or gluten-free tamari; use coconut aminos to be soy-free)
- 2 tbsp maple syrup
- 1½ tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp dried parsley
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- salt and black pepper to taste
- 16 slider or 8 full-size vegan burger buns (gluten-free if necessary)
- vegan mayonnaise (soy-free if necessary), optional
- sliced avocado (optional)
- Heat the olive oil in a large, shallow saucepan over medium heat. Add the onion and cook until slightly translucent. Add the bell pepper and garlic and cook for a couple of minutes more, until the garlic is fragrant. Add the tempeh, broth, crushed tomatoes, tomato paste, liquid aminos, maple syrup, cumin, parsley, thyme, and paprika. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the tempeh is tender and the sauce is thick, 10 to 12 minutes. Add the salt and pepper, then remove from the heat.
- Serve on the burger buns, slathered with mayonnaise and topped with avocado(if using).