The kind of comforting weeknight meal everyone will love. Easy to make, super delicious, and fun to eat!
- One 32 oz (910g) bag frozen potato tots (most are vegan, but be sure to double-check before buying)
nacho cheese sauce
- 1 cup (175g) chopped Yukon gold potatoes
- ½ cup (70g) peeled, chopped carrot
- ¾ cup (180ml) water
- ¼ cup (15g) nutritional yeast
- 2 tbsp tahini (gluten-free if necessary)
- 1½ tbsp pickled jalapeño juice
- 1 tbsp canned diced green chiles
- 1 tbsp lime juice
- 2 tsp sunflower oil (or grapeseed oil), optional
- 1 scant tbsp minced pickled jalapeño (optional)
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- ½ tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 1 medium red onion, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 3 cups (525g) cooked black beans (or two 15oz/425g cans, rinsed and drained)
- ¼ cup (60ml) liquid aminos (or gluten-free tamari; use coconut aminos to be soy-free)
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- 2 tsp ancho chile powder
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- ½ tsp paprika
- 3 tbsp canned diced green chiles
- juice of 1 lime
- salt and black pepper to taste
- optional toppings: chopped green onions, chopped fresh tomato, pickled jalapeños, guacamole or chunks of avocado, vegan sour cream
- Preheat the oven and bake the tots according to the package instructions.
Make the nacho cheese sauce:
- Place the potatoes and carrots in a medium pot and cover with water. Bring to a boil and cook until the vegetables are easily pierced with a fork, 8 to 10 minutes.
- Drain the vegetables and transfer them to your food processor. Add the water, nutritional yeast, tahini, pickled jalapeño juice, green chiles, lime juice, sunflower oil(if using), pickled jalapeño(if using), cumin, and onion powder. Process until completely smooth. Set aside.
To make the beans:
- Heat the olive oil in a large frying pan over medium heat. Add the onions, garlic, and red bell pepper. Sauté until the onions are slightly translucent. Add the beans, liquid aminos, cumin, ancho chile powder, coriander, and paprika. Cook until the liquid has been absorbed and the beans are heated through. Add the green chiles and lime juice and cook until the liquid has been absorbed, about 1 minute. Remove from the heat and add salt and pepper.
- Spread out the tots on a large platter or small baking sheet. Top with the beans, then drizzle the sauce over the beans. If desired, top with green onions, tomato, jalapeños, guacamole, and/or sour cream. Serve immediately.
If you’re serving a thunder of hungry teens(thunder is actually the collective noun for hippos, but I think it’s applicable here, too) you can double up on the tots, without having to adjust the amounts of the other ingredients.