Rescue Puppy Chow
This recipe can be served as an appetizer or dessert. In a few minutes it results in an irresistible dessert loaded with chocolate. This is a perfect sweet treat to feed a crowd!
Servings 9 cups
- 8 cups (240g) vegan waffle square cereal (such as Chex, using a gluten-free variety if necessary)
- 1 cup (180g) vegan chocolate chips (or chunks)
- ½ cup (130g) unsalted, unsweetened, smooth natural peanut butter
- 2 tbsp vegan butter (soy-free if necessary)
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- ¼ tsp salt
- 1 cup (120g) powdered sugar (or xylitol)
- Pour the cereal into a very large bowl. Set aside.
- Melt the chocolate in a double boiler or a heatproof bowl on top of a pot of boiling water, stirring frequently, until smooth. Stir in the peanut butter, butter, vanilla, and salt. Stir until combined and completely melted and smooth.
- Pour the chocolate mixture over the cereal. Stir until combined. Add the powdered sugar and toss until fully coated.
- Spread out the mixture on a baking sheet to cool completely. Divide among gift bags or jars, or place in an airtight container. You can refrigerate it, or store it at room temperature, where it will keep for 5 to 7 days.
VARIATION For the peanut butter fanatics in the family, try switching out the waffle cereal with puffed peanut butter cereal (such as Barbara’s Peanut Butter Puffins)