Pickled Red Cabbage & Onion Relish
A tasty side dish, make it ahead, and serve at your next summer picnic. This Pickled Red Cabbage & Onion Relish is quick and easy and also perfect for beginners. This recipe can also be jarred and given as a gift.
Servings 5 cups(1.5L)
- 2 cup (480ml) apple cider vinegar, plus more if needed
- ⅔ cup (110g) brown sugar (or coconut sugar)
- 1 tsp salt
- 3 allspice berries
- 3 cloves
- 1 medium red onion, halved and very thinly sliced
- 3 cup (200g) shredded or very thinly sliced red cabbage
- Combine the vinegar, sugar, salt, allspice, and cloves in a small pot and bring to a boil. Once the sugar has completely dissolved, after about 1 minute, remove from the heat and set aside.
- Pack the onion and cabbage in a large pickling jar or an airtight container. Pour the vinegar mixture over the vegetables. If the vegetables are not completely submerged, add more vinegar until they are. Seal the container and shake to fully combine. Refrigerate for 3 to 4 hours before using. Leftovers will keep in the fridge for 7 to 10 days.