A recipe that is one of all-time favorites and the ultimate comfort food. It's an easy, heartwarming, and perfect dinner for those cold winter nights! Try this now, and you will never go wrong.
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1½ cup (255g) cooked chickpeas or one 15oz/425g can, rinsed and drained
- 8oz (225g) cremini mushrooms, sliced or button mushrooms
- 1 medium zucchini, sliced
- 1 medium yellow squash, sliced
- 1 tbsp dried basil
- 2 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp dried parsley
- pinch of cayenne pepper
- One 15oz (425g) can no-salt-added tomato sauce
- One 15oz (425g) can no-salt-added crushed tomatoes
- 1 quart (1L) low-sodium vegetable broth
- 12oz (340g) lasagna noodles, broken in half gluten-free if necessary
- 3 tbsp nutritional yeast, optional
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- salt and black pepper to taste
- 3 cup (90g) loosely packed chopped fresh spinach
- 1 cup (30g) loosely packed chopped fresh basil
- Herbed Macadamia Ricotta
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil.
- Heat the olive oil in another large pot over medium heat. Add the onion and garlic and sauté until the onion is translucent. Add the chickpeas, mushrooms, zucchini, yellow squash, dried basil, oregano, parsley, and cayenne pepper and cook for about 5 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the vegetables are just becoming tender. Add the tomato sauce, tomatoes, and broth. Bring to a boil, then reduce to a simmer and cook for about 10 minutes.
- While the soup is simmering, cook the lasagna noodles according to the package instructions until al dente. Drain the noodles and add to the soup. Stir in the nutritional yeast (if using), lemon juice, salt, and pepper. Add the spinach and fresh basil and remove from the heat. Serve immediately, topped with a dollop of ricotta. Leftovers will keep in an airtight container in the fridge for 3 to 4 days
If you let the soup simmer for too long after adding the noodles, the noodles will absorb more of the liquid and may break apart into smaller pieces. If you have leftovers, you may have to add more liquid when reheating.