Keto Bacon Mac ‘N’ Cheese
This is a fabulous meal for those of you following a low-carb diet or anyone just craving some good old-fashioned comfort food.
- 6 strips bacon (6oz/170g), cooked until crisp, then crumbled (reserve the grease)
- 1 (1⅔ pounds/750g) large head cauliflower, cored and broken into ½inch(1.25cm) pieces
- 2oz(60g) pork dust or ground pork rinds
- 2 large eggs, beaten
- 2 cup (475ml) unsweetened non-dairy milk
- ⅓ cup (22g) finely chopped fresh parsley
- ⅓ cup (22g) nutritional yeast
- 2 tbsp unflavored gelatin
- 1 tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 2 tsp prepared yellow mustard
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp finely ground gray sea salt
- ¼ tsp garlic powder
- coconut oil, for the dish
- Preheat the oven to 350°F/177°C and grease a shallow 1½-quart(1.4-L) casserole dish with coconut oil. Set aside.
- Place the cauliflower, parsley, and bacon in a large bowl and toss to combine.
- Place the reserved bacon grease, milk, gelatin, lemon juice, onion powder, salt, and garlic powder in a medium-sized saucepan. Bring to a boil over medium heat, whisking occasionally. Once boiling, continue to boil for 5 minutes.
- Whisk in the nutritional yeast, eggs, and mustard and gently cook for 3 minutes, whisking constantly.
- Remove the saucepan from the heat and pour the “cheese” sauce over the cauliflower mixture.(If you’ve overcooked the sauce or didn’t whisk it well enough, you may end up with small pieces of cooked egg; for an ultra-smooth sauce, pour the sauce through a fine-mesh strainer.) Toss with a spatula until all the cauliflower pieces are coated in the cheese sauce.
- Transfer the coated cauliflower to the prepared casserole dish and smooth it out with the back of a spatula. Sprinkle the pork dust evenly over the top. Bake for 40 to 45 minutes, until the cauliflower is fork-tender, checking with a sharp knife on the edge of the casserole.
- Allow to sit for 15 minutes before serving.
- STORE IT: Keep in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 3 days.
- REHEAT IT: Microwave until the desired temperature is reached. Or place in a covered casserole dish and reheat in a preheated 300°F/150°C oven for 10 to 15 minutes, until warmed through. Or reheat in a frying pan, covered, on medium-low.
- PREP AHEAD: Prepare the cheese sauce up to 2 days in advance. Bring it to a light simmer before continuing with Step 5.
|Calories from Fat: 244||Sugar 4.8g|
|Saturated Fat: 8.8g||Protein: 15g|
|Total Fat: 27g||Dietary Fiber: 6.6g|
|Carbohydrates: 19.6g||Sodium: 973mg|
|Net Carbohydrates: 8g||Cholesterol: 128mg|