An easy vegan dinner that is perfect for families, and your kids will love it too. This recipe is super good and can be served to guests. Give it a try, and you'll never regret it.
Servings 4 with extra sauce
- 1 cup (175g) chopped Yukon gold potatoes
- ½ cup (70g) peeled, chopped carrot
- 1 bunch (1 lb/ 455g) broccoli chopped into florets
- ¼ cup (40g) raw cashews, soaked in warm water for 1 hour and drained, water reserved
- ¾ cup (180ml) reserved soaking water
- ¼ cup (15g) nutritional yeast
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- ½ tsp onion powder
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- ½ tsp salt
- salt and black pepper to taste
- Place the potatoes and carrots in a medium pot and cover with water. Bring to a boil and cook for 8 to 10 minutes, until the vegetables are easily pierced with a fork.
- While you’re boiling the potatoes and carrots, place the broccoli in a steamer basket over a pot of boiling water and cover. Steam the broccoli until tender, 8 to 10 minutes. Once tender, remove from the heat but keep warm until ready to serve.
- Drain the potatoes and carrots and transfer them to the blender. Add the cashews, reserved soaking water, nutritional yeast, lemon juice, olive oil, onion powder, garlic powder, and salt. Blend until completely smooth.
- Serve the broccoli with a pinch of salt and pepper and a few dollops of cheese sauce. Store any leftover cheese sauce in an airtight container in the fridge for 3 to 4 days.
Varation If your kids don’t like broccoli, try using cauliflower or another vegetable they like instead.