Healthy digestion is essential for good health. It serves as a center point for nutrients to nourish our entire body and keep our immune systems strong.
Keeping our guts healthy isn’t an occasional practice, it is a lifestyle. It’s a matter of eating the right foods at the right time, keeping away from the wrong foods, being mindful and in tune with how certain foods make you feel, and proactive daily choices to keep our digestion working optimally.
With the main goal being balance, here’s what a morning of good-for-your-gut practices look like:
First thing in the morning
When we wake up, the ideal thing to do to kickstart your digestion and wake up your body is to hydrate and alkalize. After a long nights rest, our bodies are naturally dehydrated and acidic, so what you drink first thing in the morning should ideally balance this out.
Opt for a glass of water, a green juice, or warm water with lemon to kickstart your digestion and get those enzymes flowing. Hydrating with alkalizing liquids before eating solid food or downing a cup of coffee will do your body wonders.
Take your probiotics
Probiotics work best on an empty stomach, so time your intake 30 minutes before a meal (when stomach acid is lowest) to ensure that those precious living microorganisms make it past your stomach acid and into your small intestines.
Get in some circulation
While waiting for your probiotics and choice of morning beverage to work their alkalizing and digestion optimizing benefits, incorporate some light exercise that will get your blood pumping and to center yourself as you focus on your breath. Not only will exercise boost circulation, it also lowers digestion-hampering cortisol and raises feel-good endorphins.
While getting any form of exercise in the morning does the body good, one especially beneficial for gut health would be a yoga sequence that incorporates twists. Yoga twists are meant to aid digestion as the movement stimulates blood circulation and releases tension in the abdomen. The compression and release from twisting movements gives your digestive organs a flush of fresh oxygenated blood.
Time for breakfast
Breakfast, which literally means to break your fast, is the perfect opportunity to flood your body with nutrients first thing in the morning. Breakfast sets the tone for your body’s wellbeing the entire day so opt for a breakfast that’s healthy and filling, that will fuel your body with clean and long lasting energy.
Healthy breakfasts vary from culture and diet preferences, but the main idea is to eat something nutritious and filling. Be sure to get in all your macronutrients (fats, proteins, & carbohydrates) for a well-rounded first meal of the day.
Here are some healthy good-for-your gut breakfast ideas:
Avocado toast with egg and sauerkraut
- Spread some ghee, olive oil, or grass-fed butter over your choice of bread and toast lightly
- Mash an avocado with a pinch of salt & pepper, a squeeze of lime, and a drizzle of olive oil
- Fry or poach 1 egg
- Top your toasted bread with the avocado mash and your egg
- Serve with a side of sauerkraut
Green smoothie bowl
Blend together the following:
- 1 banana
- 1 handful spinach
- 1 heaped teaspoon almond butter
- 1 serving of kefir or yogurt
- Transfer the mix into a bowl and top with a handful of granola, seeds and/or choice of nuts, and fresh berries.
Warming Quinoa Porridge
- Sautee diced onions, ginger, and garlic in olive oil
- Add a handful of shredded kale and a pinch of salt and pepper
- Add half a cup of quinoa, water/broth and simmer until cooked.
- Top your quinoa porridge with any protein of your choice such as a poached egg, steamed tofu, shredded chicken.
- Optional: finish with a squeeze of lime and garnish with fresh cilantro
Quick and easy chia seed pudding
- Mix chia seeds with double the amount of coconut milk (or any milk of choice), 1 teaspoon of maple syrup, and a generous sprinkle of cinnamon. Leave overnight in an airtight container
- In the morning, top your chia seed pudding with sliced mangoes and toasted walnuts
To optimize absorption your well-earned nutrients from your healthy breakfast choices, we suggest taking a digestive enzyme supplement to get the most of your food.
Follow these simple morning practices to support healthy digestion and overall gut health.
Make achieving gut health with easy-to-do daily choices that promote digestive health. Keep our Probiotic 40 Billion CFU on hand to maintain a healthy balance of gut bacteria that will keep healthy digestion in check for a healthy and happy gut.